Tuesday, November 10, 2009

ideas for 'logo phrase'

I've been thinking about my phrase. My general topic is cultural assimilation, but if I go more specific, it is about identity of Korean immigrants and their next, america-born, generation. I've researched on their identity, not only for Korean immigrants but also for any immigrants, adopted persons, people born from interracial marriage, etc.


I digested all the information and got my own conclusion, which is ..

a person's identity is defined by a few factors.

1. fact-based, realistic (ethnic) self-perception.
2. What others think of the person
3. How close a person feel to a certain culture(s)
+maybe, What culture raise you when you were in early age and/or adolescence.

I will put a Nigerian as an example, no offense or nothing.
About 1, An Nigerian claims he/she is a Russian. (who never been to Russia or learn Russian, only born and raised in Nigeria)
That could happen but it is not realistic self-perception.
About 2, you don't think the Nigerian as a Russian.
About 3, The Nigerian feel close to nigerian culture, maybe want to feel close to Russian culture though.
About 4, The Nigerian spent his/her early age and adolescence in Nigeria. The period a person learns social norms(in early age) and matures(in adolescence). and those social norms are mostly based on Nigerian culture.


So a person's identity is defined by a person him/herself, people around the person, and the society.

"Me, you and us"

It also is connected to the thing about immigrants, Americans, and America society.

I would like to use a graphic like two circles have intersection in the middle. (Two different persons meet and find something in common. use pets I illustrated on my book)
or the words, me and you, create big US. (that US can have two meanings! us and the States, I just come up with this now..hehe)
or little dots(or something) are scattered everywhere and they shape the phrase..

Or is this phrase too general?

No comments:

Post a Comment